Residents in Orange, Nyngan, and Broken Hill are encouraged to get tested after a man from Berala travels to these areas
Indonesia will release radical clergymen and suspected masterminds of the Abu Bakar Bashir bombings in Bali later this week after completing its prison sentence.
Bashir, 82, who was one of the most notorious extremists in the country, is considered the spiritual leader of the Al-Qaeda-affiliated Jemaah Islamiah (JI) network.
Bashir will be released on Friday « according to the expiration date and the end of his term of office, » government spokesman Rika Aprianti said in a statement.
JI is alleged to have planned several large attacks in Indonesia, including agents trained in Afghanistan, Pakistan and the southern Philippines.
Its members are accused of the 2002 bombings on nightclubs in Bali that killed more than 200 people, including 88 Australians, and an attack on the JW Marriott Hotel in Jakarta, which killed 12 people a year later Life came to have staged.
Zulkarnaen, a senior JI worker believed to have made bombs for both attacks, was among 23 suspected militants arrested last month.
A Bashir attorney did not immediately respond to Reuters’ request for comment on his upcoming release.
Security analyst Ridlwan Habib said that while Bashir’s stature has deteriorated, extremists could try to link their activities to him in order to gain traction and build their credibility.
« Bashir is a high-ranking figure in the Indonesian jihadist movement and it is not impossible that his big name could be used, » he said
When President Joko Widodo sought re-election in January 2019, he considered Bashir’s early release on health grounds, but abandoned the plan after Bashir reportedly refused to remain loyal to Indonesian state ideology.
This service may contain material from Agence France-Presse (AFP), APTN, Reuters, AAP, CNN and the BBC World Service that is copyrighted and cannot be reproduced.
AEST = Australian Eastern Standard Time, 10 hours before GMT (Greenwich Mean Time)
2002 Bombings in Bali, Indonesia, Terrorism, Abu Bakar Ba’asyir, Jemaah Islamiyah
World News – AU – Indonesia publishes alleged bomb attack in Bali, mastermind Abu Bakar Bashir
. . Related title :
– Indonesia publishes alleged Bali Bomb mastermind Abu Bakar Bashir
– Extremist clergymen who mastered the Bali bombings that killed 202 people – including 88 Australians – are being released . . .
– Indonesian clergyman Abu Bakar Bashir, the Bali bomb mastermind, is to be released are
– Bali bomber set is released
– Indonesia wants to liberate Bali bombed clergyman Bashir
– The top terrorist convict of Indonesia&, Abu Bakar Bashir, to be released this week
– Indonesia to release alleged bombings in Bali Mastermind Bashir
– Indonesia to the free radical cleric Abu Bakar Bashir from prison
– The shock video shows jihadists training to slaughter westerners, next to fanatics behind the bombings in Bali , in which 200 were killed
– Indonesian police reveal videos of terrorists responsible for training Bali bombings to kill Westerners » / a>
Donnez votre point de vue et aboonez-vous!
Votre point de vue compte, donnez votre avis
[maxbutton id= »1″]