WELLINGTON – About 100 pilot whales and bottlenose dolphins have died in a mass stranding in the remote Chatham Islands, 497 miles off New Zealand’s east coast, officials said Wednesday.
Most of them were stranded over the weekend, but rescue efforts were hampered by the island’s remote location.
The New Zealand Ministry of Nature Conservation (DOC) announced that a total of 97 pilot whales and three dolphins were stranded. You were informed of the incident on Sunday.
“At this point only 26 of the whales were still alive, most of which looked very weak. They were euthanized because of the rough sea conditions and the almost certainty that there are great great white sharks in the water that will be introduced, a stranding like this, ”said DOC Biodiversity Ranger Jemma Welch.
Mass strandings are quite common in the Chatham Islands. In 1918 up to 1. 000 animals in a single stranding.
Bulky whale strandings have occurred throughout recorded modern history, and why this occurs is a question that has puzzled marine biologists for years.
At the end of September, several hundred whales died in shallow waters off the Australian coast in one of the largest mass whale strandings in the world.
© 2020 NYP Holdings, Inc. . All rights reserved
Your ad choices
Your California Privacy Rights
Don’t sell my personal information
Stranding of whales, whales, pilot whales, New Zealand
World news – AU – Almost 100 whales die after mass stranding in New Zealand
. . Related title :
– Nearly one hundred whales found dead on the remote New Zealand island
– Almost 100 whales killed in mass beaching on Chatham Islands
– Almost 100 whales die after mass stranding in New Zealand
– 100 whales, dolphins die in mass beaching in New Zealand
– Almost 100 whales died after being stranded of the Chatham Islands
– A mass stranding killed nearly 100 whales in the remote Chatham Islands in the Pacific.
– About 100 pilot whales and bottlenose dolphins who died in mass beachings on Chatham -Islands have died off New Zealand
– 100 whales and dolphins die after mass stranding in New Zealand
– Almost 100 pilot whales die in mass stranding off New Zealand islands
– Numerous pilot whales dead when stranded in New Zealand
Donnez votre point de vue et aboonez-vous!
Votre point de vue compte, donnez votre avis
[maxbutton id= »1″]