Ten people were injured, one critically, and 26 people left out after a landslide in southern Norway swept away more than a dozen buildings, police say.
The landslide occurred early Wednesday morning in a residential area in the municipality of Gjerdrum, about 30 km north of the capital Oslo.
A photo of a rescue helicopter showed a large crater with destroyed buildings on the ground.
« This should have been a New Year’s weekend when we should have had peace and quiet and perhaps we should have been most concerned about COVID-19 and not whether we have missing people in a landslide, » Norwegian Prime Minister Erna Solberg told the TV2 channel.
The missing people came from homes in the innermost area of the landslide, but it was not immediately clear whether they were trapped in their homes, had gone by the time, or could escape, police said.
The area remains unstable for the time being and can only be reached by helicopter, said Roger Pettersen, head of police operations on site.
Around 500 people have been evacuated from the area, the mayor of Gjerdrum, Anders Oestenen, told the local NTB news agency.
Southern Norway has seen large amounts of rainfall in the past few days, which may have shifted the clay soil that predominates in the region, said broadcaster NRK.
Your ad blocker may be preventing you from doing this
register or subscribe.
No thanks, I’ll keep my ad blocker
World news – AU – Norwegian landslide leaves 26 missing
. . Related title :
– Norwegian landslide blades 26 missing
– Norwegian landslide: 10 injured, 21 missing
– Dozens are missing after a massive landslide swept homes in Norway and triggered a mass evacuation in what is a disaster . . .
– > 21 missing, buildings hanging over the crater rim after the landslide in Norway
– >> Landslide in Norway leaves nine injured, forces 200 have to be evacuated
– Ten people were wounded and 26 are missing after a landslide in southern Norway, the police said.
– scores missing, hundreds evacuated to clay landslide strike village in Norway
– >> Landslide hits residential area in Norway, 10 injured, 21 not reported
– Dozens missing and hundreds evacuated after mudslide
– 21 missing from & # 39; disaster& # 39; landslide hits Norwegian city as police officers receive desperate calls from people trapped in rubble
Donnez votre avis et abonnez-vous pour plus d’infos
Vidéo du jour: