Northern Ireland suffered a relegation in the Nations League even before its final group match kicked off as UEFA awarded Romania the points from their canceled match against Norway on Sunday.
Norway, whose government requested not to travel to Bucharest after testing positive for the Coronavirus inside its camp, was deemed to have lost the match, and Romania got a 3-0 victory.
The decision, made just over three hours before they host Northern Ireland against Romania in Windsor Park in their final B1 match, leaves Northern Ireland six points behind at the bottom of the standings and heading into League C.
A statement from UEFA said Norway is considered « responsible for the failure of the match to happen » on Sunday, with the confiscation in line with the regulations agreed upon in August against the backdrop of the epidemic.
Relegation marks Northern Ireland’s new lowest level in a competition they have never enjoyed, having lost eight out of nine games so far, and avoiding relegation just two years ago thanks to the league reconfiguration.. .
In this year’s competition, they started with a 1-1 draw in Romania, and they tied through Gavin White in the 87th minute, but have since suffered defeat at home and away against Norway and Austria, losing 2-1 in Vienna on Sunday after that.. He gave up twice in the last 10 minutes.
Speaking on Tuesday, Director Ian Baraklov said that uncertainty about their fate given the cancellation of the Romania-Norway competition would not affect their preparations for Wednesday’s match.. .
“We have a game plan, we worked on things and we know the threats that Romania will pose,” he said.
« From our point of view, we are going to win the match and that doesn’t change if we get a referee from UEFA on the match from last night..
“We leave this to them; it’s something we cannot control and we play this game in a positive way.
Romania is now looking forward to an opportunity to reform Norway, two points behind it, and move to second place in the ranking.
Get the latest news from the world of sports along with the best opinion from our premium team from the Sports Book, straight to your inbox every Friday
The latest news from the world of sports with our best opinions
An outstanding team of mathematical writers
UEFA United Nations League, Northern Ireland National Football Team, Romania National Football Team, Norway National Football Team
World News – GB – Romania’s postponed victory relegates Northern Ireland from League Group Nations
. . Related Headline :
– Newest: AAC says 2 on Saturday Matches postponed
– Newest: UEFA hits Norway with a loss in the Nations League
– Romania’s victory that lands Northern Ireland from the Nations League group
– Norway loses Nations League game canceled due to virus case
– <a href =" /? s = Northern Ireland relegated from the B Nations League after the UEFA Committee awarded Romania a 3–0 win over . . . Northern Ireland was relegated to the second division of the B Nations League after a UEFA committee awarded Romania a 3-0 victory over . . .
– Northern Ireland’s relegation to the Nations League before the final is confirmed
– Soccer-N. Ireland outside the B Nations League after Norway lost the match against Romania
– Soccer-N. Ireland out of the Nations League after Norway lost to Romania’s match
– Northern Ireland relegated to UEFA Nations League
Donnez votre avis et abonnez-vous pour plus d’infos
Vidéo du jour: