West Virginia retreats late with the help of these Jalen Bridges and dips the beautiful food from Derek Culver. (0:19)
INDIANAPOLIS – After the buzzer sounded in West Virginia’s 84:67 win over Morehead State in the first round of the NCAA tournament, coach and player Bob Huggins surrounded and hugged Huggy Bear .
The 67-year-old Huggins won his 900th career game on Friday, making him the sixth Division I basketball coach to reach the milestone (at least 10 seasons in Div. I). He joins Mike Krzyzewski, Jim Boeheim, Jim Calhoun, Roy Williams and Bob Knight under Div. I’m training with 900 wins.
Huggins will face Boeheim on Sunday when West Virginia, number 3 in the Midwest, faces number 11 Syracuse, who beat San Diego State 78-62 on Friday. </ "I love these guys and it's nice that they can be a part of them," said Huggins of his players. "They enjoy it a lot more than I do, but that's pretty neat. If you have something to look back on and who to share with, hopefully it's one of the positive things that has happened in your athletic career. However, you have Took long enough It took three games to get there. "
West Virginia dropped its last two games before the NCAA tournament in Oklahoma State, so Huggins had to wait until Friday to finish 900th. The Mountaineers opened the game on a 17-6 run and then fell back in the middle of the first half before controlling the game for most of the last 13 minutes.
The second security guard, Miles McBride, scored at 11- of-17 shooting a career high of 30 points and had six assists in 36 minutes. Three other WVU players posted double-digit results, including striker Derek Culver who weathered a difficult first half with 12 points, seven rebounds and three blocks.
« It means a lot to be there for him around the 900. To win. I’m really glad we did it today, « said McBride.
Huggins added, » That was your topic of conversation. It wasn’t mine – it was hers telling you what kind of guys they are. We have really good guys. «
In his 39th season, Huggins first became head coach in 1980 at Walsh College, an NAIA program known at the time as Walsh University, and won 71 games in three seasons. He then moved to Akron and appeared in an NCAA tournament for the first time in 1986.
Huggins spent 16 seasons in Cincinnati and led the Bearcats to the 1992 Final Four and 14 consecutive NCAA tournament games. He spent a season in Kansas State before arriving in West Virginia, his alma mater. Huggins led the WVU to a Final Four, four more Sweet Sixteen appearances, and ten trips to the NCAA tournament in 2010. He is 900-381 as head coach with 25 NCAA tournament appearances and a 34-24 record in the event .
Related title :
– McBride, West Virginia defeated Morehead State 84-67 in NCAAs
– March Madness 2021: A fantastic photo of every game
– West Virginia avoids a crazy end to the opening day of the first round, beats Morehead State
– West Virginia& # 39; s Bob Huggins Sixth Division I men& # 39; s coach on 900 wins
– <a href = "/? s = Bob Huggins& # 39; 900th career win comes in West Virginia& # 39; ;; 900th career win comes in the first round of the NCAA -Tournaments of West Virginia& #
– No. 11 Preview of Syracuse vs. No. 3 in West Virginia, selection for the second round of the 2021 NCAA tournament
– 900 and a Deuce: West Virginia moves past Morehead State, 84-67
– Morehead State to fall in the first round of the NCAA tournament to West Virginia
– Morehead State falls to West Virginia, 84-67, end of NCAA tournament hopes
– Chuck Landon: WVU& # 39; s Huggins Eventually Joins & # 39; 900 Club& # 39; at
Donnez votre avis et abonnez-vous pour plus d’infos
Vidéo du jour: