The Iowa Hawkeyes won the 2021 NCAA Wrestling Team title on Saturday. For the first time since 2010, Iowa won a national championship in the sport.
It was a fitting title to hold out against teams like Oklahoma State (the top team title winner) and Penn State (winners of eight of the last nine tournaments) . On Saturday evening there will be the individual finals in all 10 weight classes, but the Hawkeyes finished the team standings by a large margin after the games for 3rd, 5th and 7th place.
Iowa reached the national final on Saturday evening and had 125 points, followed by Penn State (97.5), Oklahoma State (95.5) and Arizona State (74) to round off the top 4.
While the finalists Spencer Lee (125), Jaydin Eierman (141 ) and Michael Kemerer (174) were waiting for their performance in the national final, cleaned up their teammates in the medal rounds.
With 133 pounds, Austin DeSanto fell back and took third place. In his consolation semifinal game, he defeated Michael McGee from the US state of Arizona 19: 4 in a dominant technical fall.
In the game for third place DeSanto prevailed 10: 6 against Korbin Myers from Virginia Tech and won a bronze medal. On Saturday afternoon he finished his Saturday afternoon 2-0. His only loss of the tournament was Oklahoma State’s Daton Fix.
At 157, Kaleb Young only wrestled one match on Saturday, but he scored with a win. He finished 7th with a 3-2 win over the Wyatt Sheets of Oklahoma State.
At 197, Jacob Warner made a nice run up to the game for third place. In the consolation semifinals, Warner beat Oklahoma’s Jake Woodley 2-1 to battle Michigan’s Myles Amine for bronze.
Amine, number 1 at 197, beat Warner 5-3 in a highly competitive affair. Warner finished fourth on the podium but made a good run in the wrestleback rounds after losing in the championship class quarterfinals.
Eventually, Tony Cassoppi finished heavyweight with a 5-0 win over Cohlton Schultz of the US – State of Arizona ranks third. Before knocking out Schultz, Cassioppi dominated the consolation semifinals with an 8-0 decision against Big Ten opponents Trent Hillger (Wisconsin).
With the national team title, Iowa won its 24th national title in program history. From 2008 to 2010, they won three straight wins before a drought lasting more than a decade. You’re second best in wrestling history after Oklahoma State, 34.
Get the fastest results, stats, news, LIVE videos, and more. CLICK HERE to download the CBS Sports mobile app and get the latest information on your team today.
In total, Iowa had seven All-Americans in the 2021 NCAA wrestling tournament from the 10 weight classes with three finalists on Saturday night .
© 2005-2021 CBS INTERACTIVE ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. CBS Sports is a registered trademark of CBS Broadcasting Inc.
Associated Title :
– Iowa wins first national title of the wrestling team since 2010
– Here& # 39; s where Penn State Wrestling stands The Final Round of the NCAA Championships
– Hawkeyes 1st title since 2010 at the NCAA Wrestling Meet
– > NCAA Wrestling : Iowa Hawkeyes wins the national team title for the first time since 2010.
– Iowa&’s Austin DeSanto is kept out of the All-Americans’ parade
– Iowa wins the 24th NCAA Wrestling Team Championship, first since 2010
– NCAA Wrestling Championship finals, medal rounds, free live stream information, Schedule, TV channels, how to watch online …
– NCAA Wrestling Championships Third Day Updates: Iowa Wrestling, Schedule, Results, Medal Games
– Iowa Wrestling suspends NCAA championship before the finals
– Iowa Officially Wins NCAA Wrestling Team Title 2021, Ending Penn State Wrestling Series& # 39;
Donnez votre avis et abonnez-vous pour plus d’infos
Vidéo du jour: