Sources told the New York Times that two Israeli agents riding a motorbike shot a prominent al-Qaeda member, Abdullah Ahmad Abdullah.
The second man in Al-Qaeda accused of helping orchestrating the 1998 bombings of two U-class planes. s. The New York Times reported on Friday, citing intelligence officials, that embassies in Africa were killed in Iran in August by Israeli agents acting on the orders of the United States.. .
The Times reported that Abdullah Ahmad Abdullah, whose nom de guerre was Abu Muhammad al-Masri, was shot dead by two men on a motorcycle on the streets of Tehran on August 7.. .
The newspaper said that the killing of Al-Masry, who was seen as a possible successor to the current al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri, had been kept secret until now.. .
The Times said it was not clear what role, if any, the United States played in the killing of the Egyptian-born gunman.. . Yo. s. She added that the authorities had been following al-Masry and other al-Qaeda activists in Iran for years.
The newspaper said that Al-Qaeda did not announce his killing, Iranian officials covered it up, and no government publicly claimed responsibility.
A yo. s. An official who spoke to Reuters on the condition of anonymity refused to confirm any details about the Times story or to reveal if there were any.. s. Involvement. The White House National Security Council did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Al-Masry, one of the founding leaders of Al-Qaeda, was killed with his daughter, the widow of the son of the former Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, Hamza bin Laden, the newspaper reported.. .
Osama bin Laden masterminded the September 11, 2001 attacks on the United States and was killed in a U-Type attack. . s. A raid in Pakistan in 2011.
Shiite Iran and Al Qaeda, a militant Sunni organization, have always been enemies.
Al-Masry has been detained in Iran since 2003, but has been living freely in an upscale suburb of Tehran since 2015, according to the British newspaper The Times.. s. Intelligence officials said.
Yo. s. Counterterrorism officials believe that Iran is also a country. s. The enemy, maybe they were allowed to live there to conduct operations against U. s. The newspaper said the targets.
It was not immediately known what impact al-Masry’s death, if any, would have had on al Qaeda’s activities. Although it has lost top leaders in nearly two decades since the attacks on New York and Washington, it has maintained active branches from the Middle East to Afghanistan to West Africa.. .
Send me email alerts for new articles by Reuters
Want to enjoy reading « Zen » – without ads and just article?
To join the conversation.
Your comment has been submitted successfully and will be published on
According to the site policy.
If you wish to be notified when your comment was published,
Please fill in your email address in the form below.
Haaretz. com, the online edition of « Haaretz » in Israel, and analysis from Israel and the Middle East. Haaretz. Com provides comprehensive and in-depth coverage of Israel, the Jewish world and the Middle East, including defense, diplomacy, the Arab-Israeli conflict, the peace process, Israeli politics, Jerusalem affairs, international relations, Iran, Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, the Palestinian Authority, the West Bank and Gaza Strip, the Israeli business world, Jewish life in Israel and the diaspora..
Al-Qaeda, Iran, Abdullah Ahmad Abdullah, Israel, Osama bin Laden, attack, 1998 US embassy bombings
World News – CA – Israel assassinated a senior al-Qaeda official in Tehran Three months ago – report
. . Related title :
– Israeli activists killed al-Qaeda & # 39; s No. 2 Leader in Iran in August, The New York Times reports
– <a href = "/? S = Al Qaeda & # 39; s No. 2, Accused in attacks on US embassy, killed in Iran "& # 39; s No.. 2, Accused in the attacks on the US Embassy, was killed in Iran Al-Qaeda character in Tehran three months ago – report
– Israeli agents in Iran kill Al -Qaida& # 39; s First Lieutenant – Report
– Israeli Agents Killed Al Qaeda No. 39. 2 Street Official in Iran: Report
– Base & # 39; Two people were killed in secret in Iran: NYT
– Al Qaeda & # 39; s no. Killing of two persons accused in the attacks on the US embassy secretly in Iran
– <a href = "/? S = Al-Qaida& # 39; s No. 2, Accused in the 1998 attacks on the US embassy, secretly killed in Iran "Al Qaeda & # 39; s No. 2, Accused in the 1998 Attacks on the US Embassy, Secretly Killed in Iran
– <a href="/?s= Israeli operatives killed in Iran An Al Qaeda leader allegedly killed in connection with the 1998 attacks "Israeli agents An al-Qaeda leader is said to have been killed in Iran in connection with the 1998 attacks
– Israeli killed Activists are secretly the number two in Al Qaeda in Iran – NYT
Donnez votre avis et abonnez-vous pour plus d’infos
Vidéo du jour: